An extraordinary Cabinet meeting via video conference was
chaired today by His Excellency Paul KAGAME, President of the Republic of
1. The Cabinet reviewed existing measures to further contain spread of the COVID - 19 pandemic and approved the following measures effective immediately.
These measures will be reviewed after 15 days upon a health assessment.
General preventive measures
a. Mass screening and testing for COVID-19 will continue nationwide.
b. Masks must be worn in public at all times.
c. All resumed services must continue adhering to health guidelines from health authorities (hand hygiene, mask wearing and social distancing).
d. All traders are required to accept digital payments as an alternative form of payment.
e. Movements are prohibited from 9 PM to 5 AM.
Services to continue
a. Public and private businesses will continue with essential staff while other employees continue working from home.
b. Individual sporting activity in open spaces is permitted however gyms shall remain closed.
c. Public and private transport will continue within the same province however transport between different provinces and city of Kigali remain closed. This shall resume on June 1st 2020.
d. Funeral gatherings should not exceed 30 persons.
e. Civil marriage ceremonies will resume but should not exceed 15 persons. Other related ceremonies including church services and receptions are not permitted.
Services to remain closed
a. Borders will remain closed, except for goods and cargo, as well as returning Rwandan citizens and legal residents. All returnees will be subjected to mandatory quarantine in accordance with existing health guidelines at their own cost.
b. Schools will remain closed until September 2020.
c. Places of worship will remain closed.
d. All bars will remain closed.
e. Motos are not permitted to carry passengers, but may carry goods and continue to offer delivery services. Regular moto services shall resume on June 1st 2020.
f. Mass gatherings in public spaces and homes are prohibited.
2. His Excellency the President informed Cabinet of pardon granted to a convict and collective pardon to 50 young women convicted for abortion.
3. The Cabinet also approved a Ministerial order granting conditional release of 3596 convicts.
4. The Cabinet approved the following policies, strategies and agreements:
o The Budget Framework Paper for the 2020/2021 and the Medium-Term Budget estimates for 2020/21 - 2022/23.
o Rwanda's updated Nationally Determined Contribution (NDC) to the Paris Agreement.
o The project by East Investment Company to upgrade Bugesera market.
5. The Cabinet approved the following draft laws:
o Draft law establishing the Rwanda Space Agency (RSA).
o Draft law on the Ratification of the revised treaty establishing the Economic Community of Central African States (ECCAS).
6. The Cabinet discussed progress on mechanisms to revamp physical education and sports in schools.
7. The Cabinet approved the following High Commissioners, Ambassadors and Country Representative of International Organization designated to represent their respective Countries/Organization to the Republic of Rwanda:
o Mr. Chae Jin-Weon: Ambassador of the Republic of Korea to the Republic of Rwanda with residence in Kigali.
o Mr. Jaspal Singh: High Commissioner of the Republic of Singapore to the Republic of Rwanda with residence in Singapore.
o Mr. Jesus Agustin Manzanilla Puppo: Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of the Bolivian Republic of Venezuela to the Republic of Rwanda with residence in Nairobi.
o Mr. Valentin Zellweger: Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of Switzerland to the Republic of Rwanda with residence in Nairobi.
Country Representative of International Organization:
o Ms. Mama Keita: Director of Sub-Regional Office for East Africa of United Nations Economic Commission for Africa (UNECA) with residence in Kigali.
8. The Cabinet made the following appointments:
o Board of Directors - Rwanda Development Board:
1. Itzhak Fisher, Chairman
2. Evelyn Kamagaju, Vice Chairman
3. Alice Nkulikiyinka, Member
4. Diane Karusisi, Member
5. Ivan Kagame, Member
6. Eric Kacou, Member
7. Solange Uwituze, Member
8. Liban Soleman Abdi, Member
9. Faith Keza, Member
Kigali, 18h May 2020
Dr. Edouard Ngirente